Jesse has been a lawyer in BarentsKrans’ wide-ranging Real Estate practice group since 2004. He mainly represents housing associations, commercial landlords and ESCOs in the development and exploitation of real estate, and not only in disputes. This means that Jesse has ample experience in problems involving rent and service costs, purchase and sale of portfolios, and drafting cooperation agreements and performance contracts. Jesse has special expertise in the area of legal structuring (e.g. for ownership issues and collateral) in relation to sustainable energy projects such as the installation and operation of heating systems and ground energy systems such as heat/cold storage and the use of solar energy systems in existing real estate.
Jesse regularly gives training courses on legal aspects of sustainable energy, such as the Dutch Heating Supply Act (Warmtewet), ESCOs and energy performance contracts. He provides these courses in collaboration with the Dutch Institute for Real Estate and Sustainability (Instituut voor Vastgoed en Duurzaamheid), as well as in-house.
Selected directory listings
‘Jesse Zijlma is able to address solutions in new situations and can oversee complex projects’. – Legal 500, 2022
‘Jesse Zijlma is a trusted advisor who has in-depth knowledge of our business and has the ability to keep complex matters simple. He is very responsive and pleasant to work with.’ – Legal 500, 2021
- Lecturer at the Dutch Institute for Real Estate and Sustainability (VVD) on legal aspects of sustainable energy and HOA management
- Member of the Dutch Construction Lawyers Association (VBR-A)
- Member of the Dutch Administrative Law Association (VAR)
- Member of the Haaglanden Real Estate Members’ Club (VS Haaglanden)
- Member of the Dutch Energy Law Association (NeVER)
- Member of the Dutch Platform for the Exploitation of Real Estate (NeVaP)