Rieme-Jan is a very experienced litigation and arbitration attorney (‘advocaat’). He is considered to be one of the leading authorities in (international) commercial contracts in The Netherlands. His clients are national and international companies, which are confident to let him handle their most complex and high risk disputes to reach satisfactory solutions. His litigation and arbitration work encompasses a wide array of legal topics and business activities, such as post M&A warranty and indemnity disputes, the termination of distribution and licensing agreements, gas and electricity supply contracts, high tech and construction contracts and setting aside (international) arbitral awards.
Rieme-Jan is frequently asked to be arbitrator in national and international institutional arbitrations (NAI, ICC, AAA) as well as ad hoc arbitrations. In addition, Rieme-Jan is admitted to the Dutch Supreme Court bar and has as such achieved an inter alia Tier 1 Ranking in Chambers for many years in a row. Before joining BarentsKrans, Rieme-Jan worked as an attorney in the Litigation & Arbitration Department of Allen & Overy LLP. Prior to that he was a fulltime Justice of Courts of Appeal and knows as such what arguments will convince a judge.
“He is very commercially minded and offers sophisticated solutions to legal challenges.”
- Fulltime Justice in the Court of Appeal (from 1999-2007)
- Tenured professor of Private Law Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam (from 1995)
- Arbitrator (ad-hoc and diverse arbitration institutes)
- (Head)author contracting, Jurisdiction Contract Law, Series Law & Practice
- Senior lecturer at Grotius Academy Education National and International Contracting